The Global Research Alliance on agricultural greenhouse gases has four flagship research programmes:
- Enteric fermentation
- Agricultural greenhouse gas inventories
- Soil carbon sequestration
- Water management in rice production
The Flagships are designed as a way of defining research priorities and attracting resourcing for large, collaborative research projects.
Two additional future flagships on the circular food system, and nitrous oxide have been identified and a taskforce to explore each has been established.
Details on the Enteric Fermentation Flagship and its four initial projects are available at http://www.nzagrc.org.nz/gra,listing,445,towards-low-emissions-livestock-the-gras-enteric-fermentation-flagship.html
Agricultural greenhouse gas inventories
There are high-level project concepts for the Inventory Flagship including:
- development of guidance on incorporating mitigation into national inventories
- guidance on higher Tier inventories
- guidance on incorporating manure management emissions in inventories;
- database and inventory refinement for greenhouse gas emissions associated with manure and nitrogen management
- regional or country specific project ideas.
Soil carbon Sequestration
The Soil Carbon Sequestration Flagship will focus mostly on activities within the existing ‘Coordination of International Research Cooperation on Soil Carbon Sequestration in Agriculture (CIRCASA) initiative, funded by the FACCE-JPI.
CIRCASA aims to strengthen the international research community on soil carbon sequestration in relation to climate change and food security; improve our understanding of agricultural soil carbon sequestration and its potential for mitigation, adaptation and increasing food production; co-design a strategic research agenda with stakeholders on soil carbon sequestration; and create an ‘International Research Consortium’ (funding model) in this area.
The Flagship will also assess options for soil carbon sequestration in grazing systems and set up a ‘soil microbiome for soil carbon’ network.
For more information on the flagships, please contact