Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research
Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research is New Zealand's leading provider of solutions and advice for sustainable development and the management of land-based natural resources.
Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research includes teams of researchers with skills relevant to the Centre in agricultural greenhouse gas emission measurement, carbon exchange and inventory development, soil science, lifecycle assessment and social science.
The carbon balance of temperate grasslands part I: The impact of increased species diversity
S. Rutledge, A.M. Wall, P.L. Mudge, B. Troughton, D.I. Campbell, J. Pronger, C. Joshi, L.A. Schipper, The carbon balance of temperate grasslands part I: The impact of increased species diversity, Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, Volume 239, 2017, Pages 310-323, ISSN 0167-8809, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.01.039.
- Annual C balances were measured for four years over three pastoral blocks on a New Zealand dairy farm.
- Two blocks were renewed to low and high diversity swards, and one block left as an unmodified control.
- Pasture renewal to either sward increased dry matter production relative to unmodified control.
- Renewal to high diversity sward resulted in reduced C loss compared to renewal to low diversity.
- Renewal to neither high nor low diversity sward had benefits for C sequestration over the unmodified control.
Read more (external link)
Back to News