New Zealand is a Party to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, its Kyoto Protocol, and the new Paris Agreement. Read more
New Zealand is a member of the Global Research Alliance on agricultural greenhouse gas emissions Read more
New Zealand is a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Read more
Countries seek to improve measurement, reporting and verification of greenhouse gase emissions and mitigation in the livestock sector
A new paper titled Measurement, reporting and verification of livestock GHG emissions by developing countries in the UNFCCC: current practices and opportunities for improvement has been released.
The paper describes basic requirements for MRV as established in the UNFCCC and the IPCC and then assesses current MRV practices for livestock emissions in 140 developing countries.
The report makes a number of practical recommendations to help address these issues. These include:
- Document and share examples of the approaches countries have taken in developing Tier 2 inventories, specifically, and improving their MRV systems in general
- Enable regional sharing of MRV experiences
- Provide resources to build countries’ capacities for inventory compilation, including strengthening institutional arrangements
- Review current Tier 2 approaches to clarify how different methodological approaches have evolved over time
- Improving understanding of the interaction between policy goals, MRV design and specific data needs
- Compare methods for data collection on livestock populations, herd structure, feed intake and livestock performance
- Develop specific guidance on uncertainty analysis, how to deal with data gaps, transparency and quality assurance/quality control
- Support piloting and testing of MRV systems at the national and sub-national levels
The GRA and CCAFS are now working together with partner countries and other organisations such as the FAO, the UN Environment Programme’s Climate and Clean Air Coalition, and the World Bank to implement the report’s findings.
The full press release is available at https://globalresearchalliance.org/n/countries-seek-to-improve-measurement-reporting-and-verification-of-greenhouse-gas-emissions-and-mitigation-in-the-livestock-sector/
Download the report (external website, PDF file)
Back to News